New Players With Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Loknar, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Loknar

Loknar Orc Pawn

Sorry if there is a better forum for this; if so, we couldnt find it.

A group of new players (4) interested in the server and we have a few questions to help us decide.

1. None of us will be "boxing". We all love EverQuest for the journey so burning through levels wont be our thing and we prefer to focus on one character at a time. So is there any actual "grouping" in this server? We've been led to believe that its mostly 6 box groups and even raids. We gonna be pretty lonely huh?

2. Are there Guilds? is there a forum for recruitment or should be just try in-game? Didnt see a recruit channel in the Discord. Is the content true to era? Some of these raids were hard with even 40-50 players. Do people really box entire raids?

3. One of our players had the ROF2 client already. But it didnt seem to work. At character creation all the races were greyed out with "BUY" labels. Cant we just use the torrent included in the get started page and manually add the PEQ specific files? Ask cuz the .bat file download is painfully slow - saying 7 hr to complete

I guess those are our main concerns. We are knowledgeable, even ambitious players but we really enjoy socializing and collaborating with others and hope to find even a small family sized guild. All of us really loved this era of EQ so - excited!!

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. CE2JRH

CE2JRH Orc Warlord

1-2) I think there is a solo/small group guild around, but I'm not sure they're raid competitive. The vast majority of people box I believe.
    2a) Content is true to era, but; when boxing you have some advantages; people aren't AFK; people do what they're told mostly; and it's easier to AA and gear (since you have less downtime looking for groups). The only real issues I've noticed is that Fableds aren't super completed to Era, and I think I remember reading LDoN's are only partially sorted out as well.

I don't have an answer for 3.

3. Loknar

Loknar Orc Pawn

hey thanks for the reply.

So there's that few guilds? players just box everything? even raids that required 30-40 players? kind of a bummer.

we got our clients done right and logged in. Any way to get the fullscreen to stop minimizing if youre using 2 or 3 monitors? a borderless fullscreen? thanks

4. Eastwood

Eastwood Orc Centurion

Greetings,

There is an active guild called Dragons of Asia, but yes, most of us box. However there is usually about 4-8 of us online at any given time having fun in the game.

I'm a classic EQ player and I was averse to boxing originally due to immersion breaking qualities. However, I have since really come to enjoy the play style because I can enjoy so many races, classes, and adventures in my limited play time. The game still takes years to enjoy even when boxing if not done in a META fashion. Even if it is not for you, this is an era accurate representation of EQ up until about 2008? with a very friendly community. You can choose to enjoy or ignore any content out of era or order if you desire. No one will force you to box, however finding pick up groups will be very unlikely. You all could consider each boxing 1 or 2 characters to start and supplementing your grouping that way. So when 1 or 2 of you are online, you can still form complete groups, and if all four of you are online, you could have like two groups of 12 to help with tougher content such as Planes, high end Velious zones, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reapon

Reapon Orc Pawn

To reiterate what others have said - this is almost entirely a box server. There are some solo/non boxing players but there aren't many. And almost all of them will be at the higher end of the server. With all of the boxing that goes on, once you get to the higher end and want to do some end-game content there are almost always open slots on people's box armies that you can fill in. Many would gladly drop a group of boxes to bring along another player.

One big thing that I didn't see anyone touch on, which may be a major thing for a solo player or small group - There is no economy on this server. The bazaar is basically empty. There are a few people that run bots which sell items for 1cp but those have been regulated in the last month or so to the point they are only allowed if someone is logged on watching them. Many people give things away and will give you plat for your spells as you level but gear is pretty limited to what you are able to farm yourself or scavenge off others.

6. Loknar

Loknar Orc Pawn

ya we made a big mistake hehe. didnt expect to see this everywhere. So the server must be around 30 real players boxing armies? we couldnt even move in PoK without massive lag haha. Just not for us, looking for something like P1999 but in this era. Love p1999 but tired to death of Velious. Looks like EQLive or TLP for us. Thanks all and best of luck

ugh.jpg

7. Reapon

Reapon Orc Pawn

I don't really experience a lot of lag in zones and my computer is far from high powered. That's far from normal lag you will experience. I'm not sure on the 30 real people number. Honestly i'd imagine its probably less than that at most times, at least from the chat interaction. Usually around 5-10 people talking in chat although I'm sure theres others that are just quiet.

P2002 is up to PoP but its a 3 box limit server. Low population from what I experienced and EVERY person was running a 3 box. Still not a lot of grouping at lower end due to the 3 box allowance. Probably a better experience for a small group than PEQ is though so you might consider that.

8. doeda

doeda Orc Centurion

/bcaa //plugin mq2fps load
    /bcaa //maxfps fg 60
    /bcaa //maxfps bg 12 ... increase this to make sure all follow and dont run off ( 20-30 )
    /bcaa //render fg 1
    /bcaa //render bg 200 ( renders only 1 out of 200 frames... if issues with bards and swapping gear ... use /render bg 120)

would solve alot of your fps/lag issues when running into giant box armies on your main window.

9. Hive

Hive Froglok Krup Watcher

Wayfarer's Haven is a 3-box server that is currently on LoY and LDoN is coming out on 6/26/21. There are plenty of people on there to group and raid with. Multiple active raid guilds. Instanced raid content for many raids so no crazy batphones and 3AM raids to be able to make targets and do raid progression. It will end in OoW era. They also use RoF2 client, you can use UF client or their magelo to search the bazaar. Some of the devs that work here also work on WFH.